Re: Re: CULT:RE: mulch

In a message dated 12/21/2002 6:08:45 AM Central Standard Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

> No data to support it yet, but I suspect cooler summer soil temperatures
> & more uniform moisture under mulch might enhance chances for rebloom in
> those rebloomers that bloom more often than just spring and fall.

I suspect what we are seeing in reblooming irises that do perform is the
ability to grow a juvinile rhizome to maturity between the time the mother
clump initiated stalks in the spring and the time light intensity in the fall
is roughly equal to that experienced by the mother clump at the time the
spring stalks were initiated. I would think horticultural techniques that
improve the juvinile rhizomes capacity to reach maturity during that time
period improve probability of rebloom.

For me, ideally, rebloom hybridizers seek to create irises that perform this
feat without special care or treatment under common growing
conditions......if there is such a thing as common or ordinary growing
conditions. <g> If my suspicions are correct reliable rebloom has a high
degree of dependentcy on latitude and overall, manifests itself in relatively
narrow bands for most cultivars.

Stalks are up today on Gold Reprise (Moores 87). Registration info for this
iris indicate Oct. rebloom in Texas. It has been reported as Nov. and Dec. in
the narrow band that I monitor. I do not know the latitude of the Oct.
registration data. Eaves reported of consistant attempted rebloom "first and
formost" by Golden Reprise. Last year's Old South narrow band rebloom report
had it as a performer. I do not see it mentioned in posts from above the
Mason Dixon Line as often reblooming.

I do not believe this is because some of those people are Yankees but because
some Yankees have bad latitudes.

Rollin' in the floor laughin' while tryin' not to be Senate majority leader,

Bill Burleson 7a/b
Old South Iris Society