Re: Re: CULT: mulch (was TB: Mariah)

> In a message dated 12/22/2002 3:32:45 PM Central Standard Time,
> lmann@volfirst.net writes:
>
> > I wonder why they chose PINNACLE?

and Bill Burleson replies:
> To produce a controled study requires a large enough sample of a variety
> plant a control group and a group for each variable one wishes to
evaluate if
> the results are to be valid or produce meaningful inferences. Schreiner's

> probably had a large enough sample of this variety to donate the needed
plant
> material to accomplish this study.

It is likely that Schreiners not only had a large stock of PINNACLE (they
were the ones who introduced it in North America in 1949), but by the time
of the study the commercial demand for it had probably diminished, so their
stock could readily be made available for other worthy purposes.

BTW, PINNACLE is without question the most vigorous, problem-free cultivar
among all of the 150 or so historic bearded irises that I grow (and my
growing conditions are not at all like those in New Zealand where it
originated). I wonder if a cultivar that would seem to be tolerant of
considerable environmental variations would be the best choice of subject
for obtaining a representative response to specific cultural conditions.

jcwalters@bridgernet.com