Re: CULT: mulch - sawdust

The only commercial grower of irises near me, Sunnyridge Gardens, has
successfully used a thick sawdust mulch.  When I've been there, during
bloom season, the mulch was on top of the rhizomes as well as between
the rows & plants, tho possibly not by intent.  They were using it on
ALL their irises, not just the tough ones.  And yes, some died

Jack Couturier said he quit using it because of the labor involved, but
they don't get nice big rhizomes since they stopped.

Their location is a low ridge top, terrible shallow acid clay over

I'll ask Jack again for details on fertilizing, timing, type of sawdust.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8