CULT: soil temperature

Searching for data on estimated soil temperatures below 50 cm (where
temperatures aren't strongly influenced by diurnal changes in air
temperatures), I ran across this.  Data intensive, but interesting.

<http://soils.usda.gov/soil_survey/climate/rstn1.htm>

From other surfing, cave air temperatures in France average 48 to 54oF,
but in Sonoma California average 57 to 62oF.  Mammoth Cave in Kentucky
averages 54 to 60oF.

So what?  Well, I figure no amount of mulch will keep temperatures of
soil near Mammoth Cave any cooler than 54oF <g> or cooler than 57oF in
Sonoma.

Merry Christmas everybody!
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8