AIS: Cult: Mulch - Morrison Report

I thought I sent this, but it hasn't shown up. Hmmmm

wmoores wrote:

There is an article in the AIS Bulletin, probably in 1970, about this study. I have that issue but cannot retrieve it at the moment. Anyone who wants to dig theirs out and report on the study has my blessings. Can somebody find this article in the Index that is online somewhere and report exactly what issue this article is in?

The article appeared in Vol 209 pg 52 - April '73 (thank you to the online index)

I scanned it, fixed up the formatting, and copied it below.

Just FYI, the scanning, optical character recognition and reformatting took about a 20 minutes. The time could be shortened by tuning the OCR, but things like charts do not capture well. This should give you some idea of what it would take to get all the historical text on line.

There is a reference to a footnote that does not appear in the bulletin.

B. Y. MORRISON RESEARCH PROJECT

Bed Preparation for Bearded Iris

The second of the B. Y. Morrison Research Projects, done at Mississippi State University, is off the press, and the report, prepared by J. H. Perry and C. O. Box, sheds some light on a cultural procedure. The research was sponsored jointly by the American Iris Society and by Region 24 of the American Iris Society.

Materials and Methods

"Uniform rhizomes of Iris germanica PINNACLE were used for this study, which was begun in the fall of 1969. The outdoor planting areas were established to simulate slightly elevated home garden flower beds. Three feet by six feet frame of 1" x 6" rough lumber were built on a leveled area. A Kaufman sandy loam soil was then put in the frames and allowed to settle. After it was settled, the top 2- to 4-inch layer was replaced with the following materials as treatments: 2 inches of sand; 4 inches of sand; 4 inches of sawdust; and 4 inches of perlite and soil (mixed 1 part to 4 parts, respectively). For example, where the treatment was two inches of sand, an equal amount of soil was removed from the frame and there the 2-inch layer of sand was added. In this manner, the level of the media was consistent throughout the design plat. After the treatments were made, the rhizomes were planted in the various media. The treatments were compared to a Control of Kaufman sandy loam soil. There were 30 rhizomes per treatment in the test. Data was recorded at the time of flowering in the spring of 1971."

TABLE 1. The effects of several methods of bed construction on growth and flowering of Iris germanic PINNIACLE.

Treatments Percent
Survival Fans Per Plant Date of first bloom Flower stalks per plant Flowers per plant
Sandy Loam Soil (control) 83.3 b b2/ 4.90 May 1 2.37 6.53
2 inches sand 93.3 5.23 April 30 1.00 2.30
4 inches sand 80.0 4.67 May 3 1.33 3.60
4 inches sawdust 50.0 2.67 May 2 0.60 1.63
4 inches perlite & Soil (1:4) 86.7 5.17 May 2 2 27 5.37

--
John | "There be dragons here"

http://www.AISGiftShop.com

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay) Fremont, California, USA Visit my website at:
http://usjoneses.com
Director, American Iris Society

Subscribe to iris@hort.net by sending:
Subscribe iris