Re: CULT: mulch? & Soil used in Morrison study

Sounds like these weren't exactly mulches - more like they were soil
mixtures.  Or do they say the rhizomes were buried in these mixtures?

No wonder sawdust mixed with this stuff killed the irises - good way to
make bricks.

From the Official Soil Description website, USDA

"Kaufman soils are on flood plains of streams draining Blackland
Prairies. .....The soil formed in clayey, alluvial sediments. . ...
Moderately well drained. Permeability is very slow. Water enters the
soil rapidly when it is dry and cracked and very slowly when it is wet.
Runoff is low.......The weighted average clay content of the control
section ranges from 60 to 72 percent. >

Well, that's what Kaufman is now - could have been more broadly defined
in 1973 to include coarser textures.  I'll have to move my Christmas
tree to get at my soil taxonomy refs to refresh my memory for clay soil

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8