Re: Re: CULT: mulch

>> Feeling pretty doggone foolish asking this question, but what exactly
>> *is* pine straw?  Is this just the dead pine needles that accumulate on
>> the ground around the bases of pine trees?  Composted or not?
>>

>You are correct (the brown needles shed by the tree).

Thanks, Bill and Walter, for your confirmation.  Now for another pine
straw-related question ...

We have had major army worm infestations for the last several years up
here.  Last spring, I went up to the pine plantation at the end of my
road to rake up a bunch of needles to use as mulch, but I waited too
long, and the "straw" was crawling with army worms.  If anyone has
experience with army worms, can you tell me if there is a "safe" time to
rake needles without also bringing home a bunch of worms, moths, eggs, or
pupae?

Laurie

laurief@paulbunyan.net
http://www.geocities.com/lfandjg/