Re: Re: CULT: mulch (bearded )

--- Hensler <hensler@povn.com> wrote:

>>> We've tried, with very good results, "mulching" with
branches. Loosely piled on top of each other with as much as 4"
gaps and able to allow sun in, these structures hold warmer air
around plants without smothering them. Moisture goes straight
through and the branches are sturdy enough to make a small
igloo when the snow piles up.<<<

These sounds the only way to mulch bearded irises up here altho'
I prefer not to much bearded at all. Simply because they do well
without it. I think that someone in Ontario mentioned Christy's
way before - or it might have been Christy.

I will continue to pile on the pine needles aroung my beardless
- especially the Siberians and species.

Ellen Gallagher     <ellengalla@yahoo.com>
Berlin, NH/Northern White Mountains/Zone 3