Re: Re: CULT: mulch

In a message dated 12/26/2002 2:17:30 PM Central Standard Time,
laurief@paulbunyan.net writes:

> Our army worm moths seem to lay their eggs on various trees, including, I
> presume, pine.  At least I *assume* they are laying their eggs on the
> trees in the pine plantation rather than in the pine straw itself.  If I
> knew there were no eggs in the straw, it would seem safe enough to gather
> needles either before the eggs had hatched or after the pupae had emerged
> as moths.  I just wish I could be certain those moths weren't also laying
> eggs in the pine straw under those trees.  There's certainly no question
> the straw was alive and crawling with thousands (probably millions) of
> the ugly worms this spring.

We may be speaking of two different insects. The below link connects to the
insect (army worm) of which I speak. No serious pest exist among pine trees
here other than pine bark bettles. They attack blueberry bushes (one of their
host plants) and pine trees mostly. No ill effects noted on iris or other
perennials (garden lore).

Bill Burleson 7a/b
Old South Iris Society