Re: Re: CULT: mulch

>We may be speaking of two different insects.

Indeed we are.  Here's a link to our MN "armyworms" (Forest Tent
Caterpillars):
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG7563.html

>No serious pest exist among pine trees
>here other than pine bark bettles.

According to the link I provided above, our Forest Tent Caterpillars
don't feed on pines, either, which makes me wonder why they occur in such
obnoxious abundance in the straw beneath such trees.  The caterpillars
don't generally bother the irises, either, but they can and have
completely defoliated sapling trees and mature lilacs in my yard.  That's
why I have absolutely no desire to introduce more of the disgusting
things onto my property through the acquisition of infested pine straw.
Unfortunately, when caterpillar numbers reach their cyclical peak,
there's really nothing one can purchase for the garden that doesn't come
with the slimy beasties attached. Yuck!

Laurie

laurief@paulbunyan.net
http://www.geocities.com/lfandjg/