Re: CULT: Growing iris in pots

In a message dated 12/26/02 4:52:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kellydn@frontiernet.net writes:

     Some day, the DEA is liable to check me out because of the number of
pots I use...

<< 1)       How successful is pot culture?>>

     For Irises, this depends somewhat on the variety, but I have had pretty
good luck with it.
<< 2)       How hard is it to get most cultivars to grow in pots? (I know
 most iris cv's that I grow don't like pot culture)>>

     Pretty easy if they are suited for the climate.
<< 3)       What kind of potting media do you use?>>

     Tall Bearded Irises don't like our sandy soil.  I use BWI potting mix
that is available at two sources locally.  Iris virginica will grow well in a
mix of our sandy soil mixed with Canadian Peat Moss.
<< 4)       What size(s) of pot(s) do you use?>>

     This depends on the typical size of the plant.  Quite a few are in Three
Gallon Pots, but 7 Gallon pots are better suited to this.  Due to high
temperatures and intense sunlight, I paint the pots white for plants to be
grown in above ground pots.
<< 5)       Do nurseries in your areas attempt to sell iris in pots?>>

     A few nurseries in the area do sell Iris virginica in pots.

Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, Florida, USA
USDA Zone 8b        Sunset Zone 28