Re: Growing iris in pots (and in the ground :-)

My apologies, I should have been more specific. Those fertilizer recommendations were for Tall Bearded.

Anything else I tried in pots (trimenzia, onco hybrids, PCNIs, a few other species) have just been treated to good dirt, water, and benign neglect.

Ellen Gallagher wrote:

--- John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com> wrote:

For long term potting, pick a 4-5 gal pot. Use a 50-50 mix.

Feed them twice in the spring (10-10-10) - just when they start
their growth cycle, and a couple weeks after bloom, and again in
the fall (0-10-10) (that is not a typo - 0 nitrogen) <<<

John, Do you feed other than bearded irises zero-nitrogen food
in pots? I hope to start some beardless pot culture this coming
season and the 'common wisdom' has always been to use a high(er)
nitrogen product since Sibes and especially JIs seem to need
something like the formula in Miracid which is: NPK 30 10 10
(for acid-loving plants). Higher nitrogen feed could/should be
applied in the spring before bloom...I am parroting what I have
I don't fertilize my bearded at all (in the ground) but I do
amend the soil in the spring and they perform well. Much better
in this new property than in my old house 30 miles west of here.

Some of Keppel's do extraordinary well here but I still have
trouble with most(all?) of Marky Smith's and I have a higher
alkaline base to work with...

Ellen Gallagher <ellengalla@yahoo.com>
Berlin, NH/Northern White Mountains/Zone 3

John | "There be dragons here"