On 28 Dec 2002 at 7:43, Donald Eaves wrote:

> Hello John,
> >better-formed
> >standards
> What's the current definition of well-formed standards?  You're on
> record as being picky.  This is a feature not often discussed and I
> have pronounced preferences in this area.  Probably out of step with
> current standards, too. That won't be anything new!

> Donald Eaves
> donald@eastland.net
> Texas Zone 7b, USA

  More and more standards on Western bearded varieties seem to
be swirled shut.  They remind me of frozen custard as it comes out
of the machine on to a cake type cone.  These standards make
hybridizing extremely difficult.

  Oh, I like a variety - domed, arched, touching.  Rarely do I like
open standards unless the variety is short and can be looked down
at.  Weak standards that flop and collapse in the wind are definitely

An iris that has 'no standards' ?  Hmm.  Not to be confused with a
flat iris.  Probably shouldn't leave the hybridizer's patch!

I am definitely in favor of 'high standards' for bearded irises.

Thanks, Donald, for bringing up this idea on iris standards.  I know
you believe in them, too.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8 (Oh, what a beautiful morning - off to rake
pine needles).