Re: CULT: Growing iris in pots (and in the ground :-)

<...Some of Keppel's do extraordinary well here...Ellen Gallagher
Berlin, NH/Northern White Mountains/Zone 3 >

Ellen, which of Keppel's do the best for you?  Not that it would apply
here, just curious.

I've successfully grown TB irises in pots here, mostly intended to be
temporary (leftovers to take to later sales, rebloomers to bring
indoors, clumps dug and divided but not able to reset right away).  I
use 1 gallon pots.

In the past, using garden soil, I've had more soft rot in pots than in
the ground.  In the last couple of years, I've switched to unwashed
coarse creek sand, which has virtually eliminated soft rot.  I put a
couple of inches of fresh horse manure or leaves in the bottom of the
pot to keep the sand from running out the drainage holes, then plant the
rhizome.  This year, I've been sprinkling a handful of crushed limestone
on the surface.  I water heavily and often and feed outdoor strength
Deep Feeding Miracle Grow once a week, if I remember.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8