HYB: germination!

Another b'day present, this one in the form of 5 seedlings germinating from IMMORTALITY X BETTY DUNN, a cross made for me by Mary Lou.

Looks like they didn't get too cold after all. This is the first cross of burrito'd TB seeds that have started to germinate in the fridge for me. Less than 3 months of chilling.

Treatment was this: seeds were dried, shipped to me, rolled up in a damp paper towel with <no> pre-soaking, put in a loosely folded baggie in the fridge.

I potted them as soon as there were tiny little sprouts coming out the end of some of the seeds, about a month ago? after about 2 months in the fridge, I think. Planted about a quarter inch or so deep in potting soil, then put a couple of inches of shredded tree leaves (probably mostly American elm) on top of the pot, put them outdoors, and soaked them thoroughly a couple of times a week if it didn't get rained on.

Seems like it has taken them a month to come up thru the leaves. I was afraid I'd let them get too cold - temps were around 25oF one night & the pot was frozen solid before I brought them into the sun porch.

Record high temperatures again here for a few days, but highs in the upper 60s/low 70s are a lot more fun than record highs in the upper 90s & 100s!

For me anyway. Hard on the irises when it drops back to the low 20s by the end of the week.

I talked to Betty yesterday - she will be back to talk with us as soon as AOL & her local phone company get their act together
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8