Re: HYB: seed growing methods

In a message dated 12/11/2007 10:49:03 AM Eastern Standard Time,
flowrgirl1@yahoo.com writes:

I have  read many different methods for iris seed starting.  I'm just curious
to  here every ones own experiences.  I want to know about sowing in raised
beds, pots, and refrigerator germination(i read this one in the  bulletin).  I
live in z7 northern NC.  Right now its almost 80  degrees out.  Basically,
when, what and how is it to be done with your  experiences?

Michelle, exactly which sorts of Iris seeds are you interested in starting?

Bearded, beardless, crested, onco, species, hybrids, whatever... they  do not
all have the same germination requirements, so what works for one  won't
necessarily work for another. Long soak and prechill some things and all  they
will do is rot, I promise you.. Sow them on the surface of the soil  and give
them some moist heat and they will be up in ten days. There  are a lot of magic
formulas, but the seed has the last word.

Have you checked the list Archives on this? An enormous amount of detailed
information--heaps and tons--will be found there. I know this because I
perpetrated some of those seed posts myself. They are searchable, and you should
not neglect the early years.

_http://www.hort.net/lists/iris/_ (http://www.hort.net/lists/iris/)

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead