Re: HYB: more sprout-->details please

Hey Linda,
  I remember you mentioning the unshelled seed experiment... maybe even as far as a big gob of goo in the burrito.  How has that progressed...I mean before the recent germination... any other landmarks?

Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com> wrote:
  Three more crosses have seeds starting to sprout in their burritos - the
other one you sent, Mary Lou: IMMORTALITY X ENTANGLED; plus two pods
that went straight from the stalk into a burrito without drying or
shelling: IMMORTALITY X OBSIDIAN and a colorful, nicely branched

The first pod from Mary Lou was in the fridge for 2 months; this one was
in for 3 months; the two of mine were in for 5 months. I don't think
there is any significance to the length of time the different crosses
took to germinate, other than genetic differences, but don't know that
for sure. Most IMM crosses I've made usually don't have much
germination after 3 months in the fridge followed by varying cold
(outdoor/indoor) for another couple of months.

Thanks for the tip about leaving them in the fridge longer than three
months! Was that from you, Mary Lou?

This time, I separated out the germinated seeds and potted them up
separate from the ungerminated ones.

All are outdoors for now - will bring the germinated ones in when
temperatures drop back to "normal" (whatever that means anymore!), but
leave the rest outside for another month or two of "normal" up and down

Any of the rest of you doing more germination experiments?
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
East Tennessee Iris Society
Region 7, Kentucky-Tennessee
American Iris Society web site