From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
To: iris@hort.net
Sent: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:24 pm
Subject: [iris] HYB: germination!

Another b'day present, this one in the form of 5 seedlings germinating from IMMORTALITY X BETTY DUNN, a cross made for me by Mary Lou.?
?
Looks like they didn't get too cold after all. This is the first cross of burrito'd TB seeds that have started to germinate in the fridge for me. Less than 3 months of chilling.?
?
Treatment was this: seeds were dried, shipped to me, rolled up in a damp paper towel with <no> pre-soaking, put in a loosely folded baggie in the fridge.?
?
I potted them as soon as there were tiny little sprouts coming out the end of some of the seeds, about a month ago? after about 2 months in the fridge, I think. Planted about a quarter inch or so deep in potting soil, then put a couple of inches of shredded tree leaves (probably mostly American elm) on top of the pot, put them outdoors, and soaked them thoroughly a couple of times a week if it didn't get rained on.?
?
Seems like it has taken them a month to come up thru the leaves. I was afraid I'd let them get too cold - temps were around 25oF one night & the pot was frozen solid before I brought them into the sun porch.?
?
Record high temperatures again here for a few days, but highs in the upper 60s/low 70s are a lot more fun than record highs in the upper 90s & 100s!?
?
For me anyway. Hard on the irises when it drops back to the low 20s by the end of the week.?
?
I talked to Betty yesterday - she will be back to talk with us as soon as AOL & her local phone company get their act together?
-- Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8?
East Tennessee Iris Society <http://www.DiscoverET.org/etis>?
Region 7, Kentucky-Tennessee <http://www.aisregion7.org>?
American Iris Society web site <http://www.irises.org>?
talk archives: <http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-talk/>?