  From: Laurie Frazer
  To: iris@hort.net
  Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2007 10:56 PM
  Subject: [iris] REF: iris program

  Hello All,

  Looks like I'm going to be spending time this winter working on CD iris
  programs for the AIS.  I've decided to cut my teeth on this project
  with a "Then and Now - Evolution of the Modern Bearded Iris Form"
  presentation, but I need your help.  What I have in mind is a program
  in which each slide will contain two or three photos of different
  irises, not necessarily genetically related.  The first photo will be
  an older historic with very tailored form, and the second photo will
  represent the same type and class of iris in modern form and the same
  color and pattern as the historic.  If possible, a third intermediate
  age and form iris of similar color and pattern can be included on the
  slide, as well.

  For instance, a slide might include Antigone (1938 yellow self),
  Harvest of Memories (1985 moderately ruffled yellow self), and a
  heavily ruffled, perhaps lacey, maybe even SA, extra wide-hafted yellow
  self recent intro with horizontal falls.

  Problem is, I'm not familiar with many of the newer intros.  It'll take
  me forever to dig up appropriate color and pattern matches in various
  age classes to put together a full length program ... unless you folks
  would be willing to help with your cultivar suggestions.

  What I propose is this.  I will post links to, say, pics of five older
  historic irises at a time.  I would then be very grateful if those of
  you who would like to help would take a look at the pics and offer
  cultivar suggestions of modern form irises in the same colors/patterns
  as the historics.  Once I gather and organize all of your suggestions,
  I will research the cultivars and choose the ones which most clearly
  demonstrate the progression and evolution of the modern bearded iris
  form to date.

  So, want to give it a go?  Here are the first five historic iris photo
  links:

  Mme. Chereau - http://lfrazer.com/iris//mmechereau.html
  Dr. Bernice - http://lfrazer.com/iris/drbernice.html
  Perfection - http://lfrazer.com/iris/perfection.html
  Chenedolle - http://lfrazer.com/iris/chenedolle.html
  Khedive - http://lfrazer.com/iris/khedive.html

  Thank you in advance for any assistance and modern cultivar suggestions
  you may be able to provide.

  Happy Holidays!

  Laurie