From: owner-iris@hort.net [mailto:owner-iris@hort.net] On Behalf Of Laurie
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2007 3:57 PM
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: [iris] REF: iris program

Hello All,

Looks like I'm going to be spending time this winter working on CD iris
programs for the AIS.  I've decided to cut my teeth on this project
with a "Then and Now - Evolution of the Modern Bearded Iris Form"
presentation, but I need your help.  What I have in mind is a program
in which each slide will contain two or three photos of different
irises, not necessarily genetically related.  The first photo will be
an older historic with very tailored form, and the second photo will
represent the same type and class of iris in modern form and the same
color and pattern as the historic.  If possible, a third intermediate
age and form iris of similar color and pattern can be included on the
slide, as well.

For instance, a slide might include Antigone (1938 yellow self),
Harvest of Memories (1985 moderately ruffled yellow self), and a
heavily ruffled, perhaps lacey, maybe even SA, extra wide-hafted yellow
self recent intro with horizontal falls.

Problem is, I'm not familiar with many of the newer intros.  It'll take
me forever to dig up appropriate color and pattern matches in various
age classes to put together a full length program ... unless you folks
would be willing to help with your cultivar suggestions.

What I propose is this.  I will post links to, say, pics of five older
historic irises at a time.  I would then be very grateful if those of
you who would like to help would take a look at the pics and offer
cultivar suggestions of modern form irises in the same colors/patterns
as the historics.  Once I gather and organize all of your suggestions,
I will research the cultivars and choose the ones which most clearly
demonstrate the progression and evolution of the modern bearded iris
form to date.

So, want to give it a go?  Here are the first five historic iris photo

Mme. Chereau - http://lfrazer.com/iris//mmechereau.html
Dr. Bernice - http://lfrazer.com/iris/drbernice.html
Perfection - http://lfrazer.com/iris/perfection.html
Chenedolle - http://lfrazer.com/iris/chenedolle.html
Khedive - http://lfrazer.com/iris/khedive.html

Thank you in advance for any assistance and modern cultivar suggestions
you may be able to provide.

Happy Holidays!

Shadowood - http://lfrazer.com
The Irises of Shadowood - http://lfrazer.com/iris/