Re: REF: iris program

In a message dated 12/13/2007 11:37:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
steve@familyszabo.com writes:

I cannot  agree with you Anner. There are many people out there who do a
program on,  say
Loricariids (a catfish group), but none resent that another is doing  a
similar program.

I think it is important that words not be put in my mouth, nor attitudes be
attributed to me, and certainly not to the blameless Lowes, whom I  mentioned
first, and no doubt should not have, and do so  regret doing.

What I have said is that the subject of the first CD as proposed--not the  CD
education program itself, not the goals of the program, not the mission-- was
 one that, on the face of it, bore a strong resemblance to the subject  of a
program that a pair of very distinguished officers of the Society have  spent
a lot of time working on, have offered widely for some time, and have  been
known to enjoy presenting.

My suggestion has been that some sensitivity might be shown to this  point.

I have not said the Lowes would resent anything. I have specifically said I
don't know what they might think about this sort of thing. I have simply said
that were I in a similar postion, I'd be disappointed not to have the
opportunity to make my own presentation to groups  because some  other option had
been developed. Many AIS people  have projects that are uniquely theirs, which
they enjoy, and of which  they are very protective, like their photos, and and
their webpages, their  databases, and so forth, their cherished schticks.

In a volunteer organization it is especially  important to respect the
feelings of those doing the critical grunt  work. It goes beyond simple courtesy.
The Lowes, who are not young, are holding  down a terribly important job for
AIS, one that is tedious, and isolating,  and frustrating, and relentless in its
seasons.  I think this should  be honored, and I sincerely hope they can still
manage to get a  little fun out of AIS. I've been there, and I can tell you
it ain't  easy.

So, are there really no other possible topics for the first CD?

Regarding some other responses: Of course it is true that various  people can
approach the same topic from different perspectives. Is  there any question
about that?  And surely there is no doubt  whatsoever that AIS needs to develop
some new educational  tools? Has someone suggested otherwise? Certainly not
I.

Have a nice holiday season, everyone.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA, with I. foetidissima (white berried), and  something said to
be I. susiana,  germinating.