Re: REF: iris program

 Organizations like the AIS are expected to do many
things. Having programs available for affiliate clubs
is one of these. Sometimes we forget that AIS is, its
members, and each member has different knowledge and
areas of interest. Often more than one member will
have interest in the same topic. I think this is the
case with Laurie Frasier and Mike and Ann Lowe. Also
AIS has along with a project to create CD programs for
club meetings, a speakers bureau of people who are
willing to travel and give programs. Some people may
do both. Hopefully we can celebrate the knowledge of
our members in many ways that enlighten us all without
diminishing the contributions of each. I can see
Anners point that if two presentations are done on
the same topic they may appear to be in competition.
In this case I dont believe this would be true. Mike
and Ann have a great reputation for their knowledge of
Historic Irises. A presentation given in person by
either the Lowes or Laurie would be unique to their
own personalities. That Laurie is willing to create a
CD that could be distributed for clubs that cant
afford to fly in a speaker is laudable. A live
presentation and a CD are very different animals. AIS
is trying to create opportunities for many types of
programs. It has been working on the development of
the speakers bureau and now is actively working to
create new CDs for its slide rental, I would hope
that neither project would stifle the creativity of
the other.