Re: OT-BIO: Im back

Michelle,

Like you, I relocated from a different area (UT) to
the South (SC) about a year ago, and had to leave my
irises behind until I got settled into a new home.
This past summer I returned to Utah and dug up
divisions of about 200 of my irises there and shipped
them here. I planted these  rhizomes, along with some
I ordered from commercial sources, in August and
September. All of them are doing well, and with the
mild (though very dry) weather we have had this fall,
I even have a rebloom stalk on MANY MAHALOS (Aitken,
IB, 2003) that blossomed this week (just in time, too,
as both precipitation and frost are predicted here
within the next 24-48 hours).

I have received a very warm welcome from the iris
folks here in AIS Region 5, and I am sure that you
will find the same from those in Region 4.

Also, like you I am in the process of learning to
garden under a wholly new set of conditions that
provide exciting new opportunities, and new challenges
as well. I am already learning how to deal with fungal
leaf spot in irises, a disease that I did not
encounter in Utah, but I also believe that I left some
problems behind there that I won't see here.

Good luck with your gardening and hybridizing - I
brought a few of my seedlings along to see how they do
here.

--- Michelle Verville <flowrgirl1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>     I used to be here a few years ago.  I was in
> high school when i first signed up.
>
>   I moved from MI to NC recently.  A whole new
> garden game here Im learning.
>
>   I had to leave my garden in MI for now.  When we
> purchase a house we will go get my garden:)  I have
> around 400 varieties of tb's.  I intend to do a
> small amount of hybridizing in the spring.  Once my
> new gardens are established I plan to start a
> breeding program very seriously.
>
>   I look foreward to learning some more from all you
> folks.
>

> Michelle

Jeff Walters
in upstate South Carolina