From: J. Griffin Crump
Date: 12/15/07 16:37:10
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: [iris] OT: puns

Anner wrote:

>Of course a terrible pun is a good pun,?just as a good pun is a bad pun,
>and the worst puns are the ones that are not groanworthy,?not the ones that
>are.<

Yes, you've got it exactly.  Or, at least, that's the way it seems when
three of my friends, all inveterate punsters, and I are online arranging for
our occasional lunches. We usually meet at one of two local sandwich
emporia, the Lost Dog or, if it's crowded, the Stray Cat, which is nearby.
We may have to find somewhere else to meet, though, since we've about
exhausted our store of dog and cat puns.

>It's a paradox, as Gilbert and Sullivan would say, or whichever one of them
>wrote the lyrics.?<

Gilbert, a lawyer, wrote the lyrics.  His profession must have reassured
Sullivan, the composer, for their ditties often trod heavily on the toes of
authority.  I forget which one of them used to arrive at the dress rehearsal
still frantically writing the last of his part of the work.  I like,
particularly, from the Mikado:

"Our warriors in serried ranks assembled  --  They never flinch and they
conceal it if they do."

And, from Ruddigore (sung at breakneck speed):

"This particularly rapid unintelligible patter isn't generally heard and if
it is it doesn't matter . . . matter, matter, matter, matter" etc.  --
Griff