From: lscross@peoplepc.com
To: Iris List <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 3:10 pm
Subject: [iris] OT-BIO, Mel Cross

Hi.  I am a new member to the Iris Digest. I live in Olympia, WA, where we get
lots of rain. My wife and I have approximately 400 TB's, including my
seedlings, iris collection, and the irises in our guest garden for the Region
13 2008 spring meeting.  I started my collection in 1994 and began hybridizing
in 2003. I am seeking any and all kinds of  information regarding hybridizing,
selection process, gernination of seeds.  My current observations indicate
that parents will effect pollination success, as well as gernination success,
correct?  I am seeking info on 'good parents," and also parents that would
produce good form, branching, and prolific growth and health habits. Of
course, living in a rainy climate, I am always contending with brown leaf
spot.
My first question would be, "What is the most important thing you have learned
about hydridizing?"   Thank you for any input you can give.  I am looking
forward to meeting many of you at our Spring Meeting of Region 13.
Mel