HYB:Germination:NOT hard!

 <<It seems to be one of those things that will perplex growers forever.>>

Michelle, I'm often afraid we make it sound too complicated for beginners!? I hope we don't scare anyone away from hybridizing.? It is both easy and fun!??

Iris hybridizing could wipe out the entire drug problem if people could just figure out how to bottle it!? What could give a bigger high than watching your own seedling bloom?? I find the whole process exciting! (except the weeds and grass)

In most cases, the method of seed germination is a matter of choice, primarily based?on climatic zone and/or personal preference.??

Three primary things are needed for a tall bearded iris seed to germinate: moisture, cold, and time.??

Know your?climate.? I'm in zone 6?where the winters are cold enough to?sprout seed outdoors.?

When planting outside, you can either plant directly into the garden OR in pots.? I have used 8.5 x 6 inch mum pots for years, but am currently evaluating 10 x 6 inch mum pots.? The larger ones were less stressful?on the left over seedlings during the 2007 drought.? Watered thoroughly once a day, some of the smaller ones suffered serious stress and lost their leaves.? I thought they'd died, but most appear to have survived and put up new growth once the temps dropped.?

I prefer pots over the ground because the iris seeds have a longevity of 15+ years.? I don't want them lost in my soil.?

If your?weather is non-seasonal,?you might want to learn some form of the refrigerator method.? Griff and others in your region do plant in pots.?

The refrigerator techniques provide more control, but require more involvement than I choose to expend.? I would forget something important and spoil a bunch of important seed!? Too eaxily distracted!? Maybe when they develop a 3 month alarm system that works for me?? <vbg>?