Re: HYB:Germination;Not scared

I wont be scared off just yet!  I love the thought of seeing original creations bloom for the first time.  I love the fact that irises only bloom for a short while because I enjoy the arrival of the next season.  Great things are worth waiting for.
  Michelle

autmirislvr@aol.com wrote:
  <>

Steps

1)? Use fairly loose potting soil.? The expense?of good potting soil is worth it.?
? 2)? Place a coffee filter (or a thickness of paper towel) in the bottom of the pot to restrict soil loss.
3)? Pack the soil
4)? Plant the seed approximately 3/4 inch to 1 inch under the surface.? Pack again.?
5)? Set pots where mother nature can reach them.
6)? Water seed pots with gentle spray for 5+ days.? This is my method and usually produces around 80% germination.? However, germination will vary depending on cross.? Some will germinate 100%, while others will not sprout one seed.? You may choose to soak the seed before planting.? Personal choice, but they must have water.??Keep the pots moist throughout winter.? ?
7)? Cover all?with something that will let the water through.? Critters (all types) tend to bother the pots.? When I have a lot of pots, I set them on a piece of black plastic and place?chicken wire over them.? Then I pile straw or shredded leaves over the wire to a depth of 4-6 inches.? This keeps the seed from "floating" to the top in the beating rains and keeps the soil moist.? Seed that float to the top may not germinate.?

With this method, I can pursue other activities during the winter and not worry about my seed rotting in the frig!? ? Forgetful me!??