Re: HYB: seed planting

I plant my seeds in late December, usually after Christmas up to mid-January and have had no germination problems to speak of. Germination usually starts in late April. I pot the seeds and set them outside with a wire mesh covering them to keep the bushy tailed rats (some folks call them squirrels) out of them. I am in zone 5 between Cincinnati and Dayton, we usually have wet and cold up through the end of March.

John Bruce

I got a question offlist - what's the latest month of planting outdoors that folks in zones 5 - 9 have gotten successful germination of TBs the following spring?

I figure the answer depends entirely on which parents are being used - at least that's my experience with the refrigeration technique and outdoor germination.

But we all know my experience is limited to iris hell - so this question is for people in more "normal" iris growing areas in a "typical" winter.

Whatever <that> means anymore! ;-)