From: John Bruce <jbruce1@cinci.rr.com>
To: iris@hort.net
Sent: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 9:35 pm
Subject: Re: [iris] HYB: seed planting

I plant my seeds in late December, usually after Christmas up to mid-January and have had?
no germination problems to speak of. Germination usually starts in late April. I pot the seeds and set them outside with a wire mesh covering them to keep the bushy tailed rats (some folks call them squirrels) out of them. I am in zone 5 between Cincinnati and Dayton, we usually have wet and cold up through the end of March.?
?
John Bruce?
?
>I got a question offlist - what's the latest month of planting outdoors >that folks in zones 5 - 9 have gotten successful germination of TBs the >following spring??
>?
> I figure the answer depends entirely on which parents are being used - at > least that's my experience with the refrigeration technique and outdoor > germination.?
>?
> But we all know my experience is limited to iris hell - so this question > is for people in more "normal" iris growing areas in a "typical" winter.?
>?
> Whatever <that> means anymore! ;-)?
?
?