Intermediate Bearded Iris and Fertility

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Marky Smith's article in the Fall 2007 issue of
The Medianite on Intermediate Bearded iris fertility, and would like to submit
my own experiences here for those who may be interested.

I must admit that I had heard that IB's were difficult parents, but since they
weren't my main hybridizing focus, I guess I didn't pay much attention.  It
was only after I realized that they had alot to offer the gene pool that I
started using them at all. I didn't germinate any of these crosses though
until the Spring of 2007, as follows:

Gnu Rayz (IB) x Spring Peeper (SDB)- 16 seeds, 1 germinated
Gnu Rayz (IB) x Voices (SDB)- 15 seeds, 7 germinated
Oolay (IB) x (Cute or What x Easter sdlng) (SDB)- 4 seeds, 1 germinated
Wind Spirit (IB) x Stars and Stripes (TB) 35+ seeds, 4 germinated

These will be planted out in the Spring of 2008 as soon as we get our yard
made and I can start on making flower beds. Hopefully by then, more will have
germinated.

In the summer of 2007, I made a number of crosses using IB's as follows:

(Cute or What x Music) (SDB) x Pink Pele (IB)- 3 seeds (I find this cross
interesting because IB pollen is considered to be REALLY infertile and hard to
use.  Pink Pele also formed quite a number of bee pods this year, but
regretably, I got involved with packing up for our move and missed harvesting
them.)

Cute or What (SDB) x Goddess of Luck (IB)- 11 seeds

I absolutely LOVE the IB Londonderry, but have been repeatedly frustrated at
getting any seeds one way or the other from her.  However, it's sibling,
Galway, has given me a handful of seeds this year:

Galway (IB) x Captured Spirit (SBD)- 6 seeds
Galway (IB) x Spring Peeper (SDB)- 9 seeds
Galway (IB) x Starlight Express (TB)- 8 seeds (What should I expect from this
cross?)

Gnu Rayz x Music- 12 seeds (Gnu Rayz appears to be one of the more fertile
IB's)

Pink Pele x Cream Cake- 4 seeds

I am very much looking forward to trying IB on IB crosses and using these
little guys for further hybridizing.  I'd like to hear from anyone who uses
IB's on a regular basis in their hybridizing and your results.

Thanks!

My best,
Sherry Jesberger

Visit Keystone Crossroads
www.keystonecrossroads.com
Featuring Pennsylvania Genealogy & Gardening