Re: Intermediate Bearded Iris and Fertility

here's another link to iris-photo
so you can see two seedlings i got from Galway!

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: sherry@keystonecrossroads.com
  To: Iris List
  Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:29 PM
  Subject: [iris] Intermediate Bearded Iris and Fertility

  I thoroughly enjoyed reading Marky Smith's article in the Fall 2007 issue
  The Medianite on Intermediate Bearded iris fertility, and would like to
  my own experiences here for those who may be interested.

  I must admit that I had heard that IB's were difficult parents, but since
  weren't my main hybridizing focus, I guess I didn't pay much attention.  It
  was only after I realized that they had alot to offer the gene pool that I
  started using them at all. I didn't germinate any of these crosses though
  until the Spring of 2007, as follows:

  Gnu Rayz (IB) x Spring Peeper (SDB)- 16 seeds, 1 germinated
  Gnu Rayz (IB) x Voices (SDB)- 15 seeds, 7 germinated
  Oolay (IB) x (Cute or What x Easter sdlng) (SDB)- 4 seeds, 1 germinated
  Wind Spirit (IB) x Stars and Stripes (TB) 35+ seeds, 4 germinated

  These will be planted out in the Spring of 2008 as soon as we get our yard
  made and I can start on making flower beds. Hopefully by then, more will

  In the summer of 2007, I made a number of crosses using IB's as follows:

  (Cute or What x Music) (SDB) x Pink Pele (IB)- 3 seeds (I find this cross
  interesting because IB pollen is considered to be REALLY infertile and hard
  use.  Pink Pele also formed quite a number of bee pods this year, but
  regretably, I got involved with packing up for our move and missed

  Cute or What (SDB) x Goddess of Luck (IB)- 11 seeds

  I absolutely LOVE the IB Londonderry, but have been repeatedly frustrated
  getting any seeds one way or the other from her.  However, it's sibling,
  Galway, has given me a handful of seeds this year:

  Galway (IB) x Captured Spirit (SBD)- 6 seeds
  Galway (IB) x Spring Peeper (SDB)- 9 seeds
  Galway (IB) x Starlight Express (TB)- 8 seeds (What should I expect from

  Gnu Rayz x Music- 12 seeds (Gnu Rayz appears to be one of the more fertile

  Pink Pele x Cream Cake- 4 seeds

  I am very much looking forward to trying IB on IB crosses and using these
  little guys for further hybridizing.  I'd like to hear from anyone who uses
  IB's on a regular basis in their hybridizing and your results.

  My best,
  Sherry Jesberger

  Visit Keystone Crossroads
  Featuring Pennsylvania Genealogy & Gardening

  message text UNSUBSCRIBE IRIS