Hi Linda,

It's in the October 2005 Bulletin, page 13:

"Sakai No Ogon, the best yellow hybrid

I offer you the best yellow hybrid of I. pseudacorus and I. ensata. It has
the deepest yellow color, the most vigorous growth, and is patented in
Japan. You will see the difference from all other hybrids such as Aichi No
Kagayaka. You will find more information about Sakai No Ogon (Kogane) in the
AIS Bulletin, July 2005.

Contact:  Akira Horinaka
9-31 Oide-cho Nishinomiya, 662-0036, Japan"

Not in the Iris Register under either name; you're right, probably not

In July Bulletin:

Pictures p. 57 and 3-page article p. 73:

"Maeda in Osaka introduced SAKAI NO KOGANE. He obtained this cultivar by
subjecting seeds (from a cross of I. pseudacorus X I. ensata KYOKUSUI NO
UTA) to radiation. The resulting seedlings were tetraploids (amphidiploids).
Only 100 of 1000 seeds germinated, bloomed in 1995, and only the best one of
the 100 was introduced, as SAKAI NO KOGANE in 1998. It was the most vigorous
of its siblings, and its color is deep clear yellow, similar to the color of
I. pseudacorus; it commanded the highest selling price of any hybrid to
date. It produces 20-plus flowers and blooms for a long period. Although I
have lost many plants in my garden to disease, SAKAI NO KOGANE continues to
survive, so visitors and I enjoy this flower every year. If you would like
to obtain SAKAI NO KOGANE, you can contact me."

Cheers, Barb in Walnut Grove, MO