Re: HYB: help - chilled seeds, germination

Some crosses that are reluctant to the germinate after 12-16 weeks of chilling respond after temperature cycling between 70 F and 40 F (or yes, moving to the outdoors in pots.  But you can do this indoors too.   Depending on where you live puting them outside at this time of year might not create enough of a higher temperature to help and would simply continue the chilling process.

I have not noticed any further significant benefit to continued chilling.  A few may gerniate but not worth the wait for the few you might get and the extended watching you would need to do.

If you temperature cycle indoors you should notice significant germination within two weeks.  If they still don't germinate after cycling for a couple months another round of chilling might help or by resorting to using other forced germination methods discussed in this forum and AIS publications.

I think you should put them on the sunporch if you are getting a good and fairly reliable temperature difference between day and night temperatures.  Simple and less work for five pods.  But then again it depends on what crosses they are and how important or significant the crosses are to you.

Paul Archer
Raleigh, NC  Zone 8