Re: HYB: PS help - chilled seeds, germination

In a message dated 12/22/2007 6:57:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
lmann@lock-net.com writes:

hmmm...  another possibility would be to put some of the seeds outdoors
in a  coldframe made of Reemay.  That would probably give them enough
extra  warmth to germinate a bit earlier....

Or you could sow them inside now, given them some warmth and sun, and  see
what happens in the coming month. Then, if there was no sign of  action, move
them outside, or to your porch. for some oscillating  temperatures. My gut
instinct is that  five months of  a constant  cold temperature is likely to be
enough to accomplish whatever it that  going to accomplish and it is time to warm
them up.

My very useful small cold frame holds eight nursery flats of plants. It is
about two feet tall at the apex, and it is made of rat wire. In section, it is
a  half cylinder. When the time comes, I lower it and put over it an old
piece of reemay, folded, which keeps condensation from forming and dripping.  Then
I put over it a sheet of 4 mm plastic, the stuff that comes on rolls at the
hardware store. I cut a hole in the top of this about  2fett square. Then
another sheet goes over--this enables me to roll back one sheet for ventilation
without unwrapping the whole shebang. All the edges are tucked under long
pieces of scrap 2X4 and held down with bricks. This is not airtight, of course,
and pots in it do freeze, but it cuts a lot of the impact of the elements.
In mine this season, a flat of gardenia radicans, two hydranges, some  neat
new ivies, pots of seeds of live oak, franklinia, and swamp magnolia, and  some
other bits and pieces. I've got three of these gizmos. Sometimes if the
weather is real bad I've been known to flop a flokati over it. Sometimes I put a
sheet of styroform under the flats. I typically have to put some slug bait in
there as the sluggies think it is the equivalent of a seasonal jaunt to  Nice.

Anyway, I think you should pot some of those seeds and give them some  sun.

Happy Solstice, darling people, from Chateau Whitehall where it is  sasanqua
time and the Danae racemosa is in full fruit.

Thanks again for all your help yesterday, Linda.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead, USDA Zone  7