Re: HYB: help - chilled seeds, germination

Linda,

  Based on what I've seen with the germinants I've seen this summer, I'm going to adopt a policy of just leaving them in the fridge until they germinate.

  In the past when I have seen germination at six weeks and taken it as a cue that it was time for warmer temperatures I have not seen a signifigant number of new pods germinate.  In addition the flush of new germinants seems to stop altogether after about a week.  That could just be the ones that were past "the point of no return."  Among those that germinate in warm or alternating stages, it seems they have a harder time making it to Pop-Tart stage.

  On the other hand, this summer, 'all' my remaining seeds germinated when they reached about the same marker as you have noted- five months cumulative cold.   And once they started, even in the cold, the flush of new sprouts continued until 'all' the sound seeds germinated.  Five months from July (Dec) may still be a touch early with my communion cup pots, but it's certainly better than having the cumulative cold add up July-August because I've been alternating temps.

  In the past I have tried to micro-manage each burrito so that it gets X days cold and then Y days warm, which has been a headache that doesn't appear to be worth the trouble.  It will be easier for me to check the burritos periodically for early sprouts than it has been to try to keep up with which burritos are on an alternating schedule.

  But that's just what I'm thinking this week.

  christian

  'all' for the purpose of this discussion is approximately 90% of ungermiated seeds.
Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com> wrote:
  One more cross has started to germinate in the fridge. The seeds have
all been in the fridge for 5 months now.

For those of you who have experimented with refrigerator chilling, how
much longer should I leave them in the fridge?

Or should I pot the rest and put them outdoors to experience
intermittent chilling?

If I do that, I will probably bring them into the sun porch if it gets
into the low 20s F or colder.

If it's just cumulative chilling that triggers germination, I could
leave them in the fridge, but if the remaining genetic mixes are waiting
for some alternating temperatures, they might not ever germinate.

Plus these guys may need to get a good rinsing to remove additional
inhibitors un-related to chilling.

What to do...

Maybe I should soak them all for a few days with changes of water, then
put them back in the fridge for a few more weeks, then pot them?? A lot
of fussing around, but only about 5 pods left. That's manageable.
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
East Tennessee Iris Society