Re: HYB: help - chilled seeds, germination

I will note that six weeks of cold is not the norm for bearded Iris seed to complete a "normal" cycle.  Yes, some crosses do produce seeds that germinate that early.  I had one this past winter do that and observed the same thing with the seedlings being weak.  They actually seemed disease prone with a wierd malady I had never seen or yet explained.  It ALMOST looked like scorch, but it only affected the early geminants.  The other seedlings that germinated arter 12 weeks were fine.

The remaining ones that hadn't germinated could be the genetic result of a normal twelve week (or further extended) gemination cycle.

We had discussed in ealier emails that later germinants might be stronger or may even be better rebloomers than those that germinate early.  Time will tell as I observe my surviving seedlings and proposed crosses further.

Paul Archer
Raleigh NC  Zone 8