Re: HYB: IB fall spot, thumbprints

Thanks, Jan.

So I guess there's no reason an SDB couldn't display a TB type variegata/umbrata type spot, if that's what it was crossed with.

Would you expect these two types of spot to look markedly different on an SDB?

I'm afraid I'm pretty ignorant of what the SDB spot looks like on an IB because I don't grow many SDBs <or> IBs. They get lost in the weeds ;-( and most of the SDBs I've tried haven't done very well here. Might try a few more in our new California climate!

I grew ZING ME for awhile quite a few years ago. My impression of it was that the pattern looked more like heavy 'thumbprints' found on some TBs (and SDBs), rather than a real spot, such as is on CAT'S EYE or BEING BUSY, two SDBs that I currently grow.

BEING BUSY has a fall spot, but a narrower light rim than the showier CAT'S EYE, more like a TB variegata pattern. Seedling from white TB X lookalike-but-stronger BEING BUSY seedling was pale, but the pattern is similar to 'thumbprint' pattern also.

Just thinking out loud, wondering if the 'thumbprint' pattern in some TBs might possibly be a form of the pumila spot that's already in the TB gene pool.

The spot on CAT'S EYE is .. something..richer? looking than the spot on BEING BUSY, but I was assuming it was just due to intensity of pigment and width of the outer rim.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8