HYB:Traits:pod vs pollen

  • Subject: HYB:Traits:pod vs pollen
  • From: autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 07:08:17 -0500

<<Basically it would seem that stem/branching and colour (maybe mostly
> relating to dominant whites) are more pod related than pollen related,
> however rebloom seems unrelated to whether I use pod or pollen. Foliage
> colour and plant vigor seems unrelated also.>>

During my first season of crossing irises I made 17 crosses.??I'd already done a lot of research?and used irises that had some rebloom history. At the time, Autumn Encore was my only true rebloomer.?
Among those crosses were Highland Chief x Peach Spot and the reverse.? These two crosses gave some very distinctively different seedlings.?

Peach Spot as the pod parent (12) gave strange seedlings with four large blooms.? In color, most of the seedlings were an off white with brown veins.? Height was short. The branching was a bit awkward with terminals that I can only call "weak."? There was one seedling that occasionally fall bloomed.? It's garden name was "Big Bertha" (sorry to anyone named Bertha out there.) and used in at least one cross.?

Highland Chief X Peach Spot (05) gave taller seedlings with bud placements from five up, with good branching.? One rough textured deep orange had 3 terminals.? Color patterns were quite varied.? I really liked these seedlings and kept many of them for several years.?

Each cross had 20+ seedlings.? I didn't compare growth at the time, but most of the 05 seedlings were quite strong in every way.??

I used the parents and?several of the seedlings in?an educational exhibit at one of our shows. ?I clerked behind a judge that questioned the reasoning of a hybridizer that would make such a bazaar cross!??He just couldn't imagine why anyone would have made that cross!?

I feel lucky to have experienced this early in my breeding history.? It still ranks as one of my favorite iris experiences.? I've since learned that plicata amoena crosses often give interesting children.?

I've two crosses that I can check in the spring . . . Tara's Choice x Again & Again and the reverse.? Some gave maiden bloom in the spring of 2008.? At this point, I'm most pleased with the ones that have TC as the pod parent.?

I've seedlings from Edith Wolford as pod parent that seem to have distinctive branching.?

I'll check my records for other reverse crosses.?

In the beginning, I was advised that the pod parent had a greater influence on the children in regards to branching, etc..?I try to use the taller of the two as pod parent.?It's not always possible.?

Betty W.?
Bridge In Time
Zone 6