RE: re: HYB: pod vs pollen traits (very long) (was ??)

  • Subject: RE: re: HYB: pod vs pollen traits (very long) (was ??)
  • From: "Francelle" <fjmjedwards@qwest.net>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 12:39:20 -0700

Linda Mann asked if anyone had experience getting tall seedlings from short
parents.  Margaret Inez and Ruffled Goddess are both short irises with only
fair vigor, at least in my garden, but my cross of MI X RG resulted in a an
extremely vigorous, extremely floriferous seedling with stalks that have
reached above 44 inches.  The average is 38 inches.  They consistently
produce triple socketed terminals with up to 12 well placed blossoms per
stalk, the only iris I have ever grown that will do that here.  The bright
pink-lilac blossoms are on the small side and their form is not perfect, but
I have been so impressed with it being a focal point in my iris garden that
I registered it this summer as Lilac Morning.  I think I posted pictures of
it in 2006 if anyone wants to look it up.  Its seedling number was 57-66.
Next spring I will get some better pictures.
A number of its siblings bloomed also, but they were so completely out
classed by this one that I don't even remember them.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9