HYB: Traits: Pod Vs Pollen

  • Subject: HYB: Traits: Pod Vs Pollen
  • From: "Mary Swann-Young" <MryL1@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 21:44:44 -0500

Nearly all my crosses since 2002 have been between zone 5 rebloomers
and nicer, newer things that rebloom somewhere.  In general, it's very
to set pods on many of the nicer, newer things bred and selected for several
generations in a very different climate.  Their seeds usually have low
rates (pod parent health-related?) and poor survival rates.  Consequently,
seedlings I've raised have pod parents that are robust and happy here, in a
growing season with high humidity, lots of rain, and roller coaster winter

Generalized observations (there is no "always") with pod parents as they
appear in my growing conditions:

Short pod parent, regardless of registered height - short babies
Pod parent reblooms Z5 - 1/61 babies will, 1/14 if both parents do
Pod parent doesn't rebloom Z5 - very, very few will, exception Frequent Flyer
Well-branched and budded pod parent - healthy babies usually same
Weak stalk pod parent - close to "always"
Poor bloom form pod parent - usually minimal improvement
Poor health pod parent - few survive, nearly all wimps, leaf spot especially
Pod parent blooms early (or late) - most babies same, or a compromise
Rate of increase on (healthy) pod parent - no apparent influence

>From the pollen side, I've seen influence in: fat beards; substance and
(especially from Vienna Waltz); pattern augmenting pod parent's; rebloom
PBF(from either side); open standards; and color saturation. Have also seen
cases where branching and bud count were obviously affected by pollen parent.

Very few reciprocal cross attempts result in pods both ways here.  In 2006,
I got Clarence X Ghost Train and reverse.  Planted out in spring of 07, from
9 of C X GT, 4 had "spent" the primary fan by spring of 08, which I interpret
mean those 4 attempted to bloom in late fall.  Of the reverse cross of 7 GT X
no primary fans had disappeared by spring.  There was never any evident
in health or growth rate between the crosses.  Both parents grow well here.

I've seen many cases of Z5 rebloomer (Sept/Oct) X warm climate rebloomer =
too late for here.

The last couple of years have brought floods, droughts, an unprecedented
spring freeze, a tornado and falling trees, not to mention borers, moles,
and trampling deer, so the jury is still out.

Mary Lou, near Indianapolis, Z5 - A pod on potted Bonus Mama X 06-68ARE
(Renown x Wearing Rubies) - my first indoor pod