HYB: Traits: Pod vs Pollen

  • Subject: HYB: Traits: Pod vs Pollen
  • From: "Mary Swann-Young" <MryL1@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 21:41:14 -0500

The figures reflect a running total of crosses made beginning with the
2002 seed crop.  The number of rebloomers, which includes the "too
late but trying to" includes performance through the second fall after
the seedling is set out as a (usually) 5-6 month-old transplant in spring.
I've had a few rebloom in later years, but so few they could not skew
the ratio, and I haven't altered the figures to allow for them.  With the
exception of 2004, which was a breeding disaster I'd rather forget, about
400 new seedlings go in the ground each year.

The horrible spring freeze last year may have skewed the total number of
reblooming offspring downward.  My rebloomers tend to spring bloom early
and some of the earliest bloomers rotted to death.

Rather than rehash the mistakes I made years ago, using some stuff I
wouldn't touch with a ten foot Q tip now, here are a few specifics of named
rebloomers I intend to use:

Renown - babies tend to be short, can pick up an edge/bitone/ray pattern
Immortality - babies tend short, earlier rebloom, needs substance
Daughter Of Stars - will cross toward branching, bud count, reds
Bonus Mama - pales it's partner, needs earlier rebloom/dosage
Lunar Whitewash - well - bud count needs help
Again And Again - harvested pollen on rot-proof bitones, reds, oranges
Twilight Fancies - for bitones, with fatter beard, longer branches
Mother Earth - using pollen only, on stronger stalks, branching, buds, color
October Splendor - with pollen from taller pinks
Luminosity - pollen from taller pinks
Precious Little Pink - with quality blooms and broken color

Lots of others for specific crosses, but this is probably my A team for named
variety rebloomers.  From the new stuff, I'll try Lest We Forget, Autumn
Mountain Sunrise, Florentine Silk and I'm Back in particular if they

Would love to hear from anybody on what they plan to use and how/why. I
really enjoy hearing this kind of info.  Still remember an article in the RIS
Recorder from years ago, with Sutton's saying to expect "wild things" from
Clarence, pastels from Saxon, etc.

Mary Lou, near Indianapolis, Z5 - a mailman saying Christmas is no holiday
at the Post Office!