Re: HYB: Snapped stalk result

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Snapped stalk result
  • From: Paul Archer <pharcher@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 23:28:28 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Don't forget there is surely some photosynthesis is going on in the chlorophyll in that outer layer of the stalk.  Photosynthesis is not strictly a "leaf" activity.  As long as there are some stomata on the photosynthetic layer it can occur.  Yes, there are probably fewer stomata but enough to allow exchange of gases for photosynthesis and respiration.  Also, if the pith is being used as a food source there has to be a way for the carbon dioxide being produced from the respiration/breakdown of carbohydrates and sugars to escape effectively.  Also for the carbohydrates to be transferred to the seed they first have to be broken down and re-assembled in the seed.  This requires oxygen for respiration to break them down and carbon dioxide for photosynthesis to reassemble them.  The storage carbohydrates are simply too large to simply easily move from the pith to the seed endosperm through the the phloem.

Paul Archer
Indianapolis, IN  Zone 5