CULT: seed management

  • Subject: CULT: seed management
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 08:22:22 -0500

Thanks, Christian. Your data pretty much matches what I've seen, tho I don't have good numbers like you do.

I'm a bit worried about the 2nd year seeds that are all outdoors. I hope they weren't trying to germinate during last week's warmth & rain - this morning it's around 10oF.

About 1/4 of 2008 pods from the fridge have zero germination after 4+ months in the fridge here as well.

What will you do with those that haven't germinated? Continue to refrigerate?

I potted mine, put them out on the sunporch, where temperatures cycle between 40 at night and up to 70 during the day. So they will continue to get chilling, but also some warmth.

Also, what temperature are the potted/sprouted seeds? I lost some last year by keeping them at room temperature after potting (they rotted). Some came up ok, but others not.

Do you cover the sprouted seeds with potting mix? I do, and it takes them one or two weeks to get leaves above ground on the sunporch.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8