Re: HYB: winter plans, traits pod vs pollen

  • Subject: Re: HYB: winter plans, traits pod vs pollen
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 08:47:55 -0500

Thanks Mary Lou.  Not very encouraging ratios, are they?

I'm mostly trying to <find> my notes, update the field notebook, update seedling survival tables (assuming I can <find> the rest of the notes!) so I can start thinking about what I want to do this coming spring.

My hope is to make more (IMM x A) X (IMM x B) or X (ENGLISH COTTAGE x C)type crosses, but I'm not sure there will be much worth working with yet. Worthy bloom quality, stalk height, etc plus fertile. Possibly more from IMM X KIWI CHEESECAKE, or from IMM/ENG C X SHARPSHOOTER, FOGBOUND, ABOVE THE CLOUDS, BURST, TREASURED, or even pink sdling: (PINK FORMAL x CSONG), plus the usual 6 IMM X CSONG kids.

I will continue to try to figure out something useful to do with the tet looking I. pallida grandchild, & DUSKY GRAPE & sibs.

Definitely plan to work the yellow & pink seedlings from cream: (IMM x CSong) X TREASURED. But availability of pollen will determine what I mix with them. Be nice to put some kind of banded rebloom parent (i.e., one of Sutton's) on them, but who knows if any will produce pollen.

And, of course, I probably won't be able to resist doing more IMM crosses <g>, tho I <hope> I will resist attempting more with HoM. Too frustrating!

If new starts of TRANS-ORANGE will cooperate, I'd like to try putting it on some of the other IMM X CSONG kids to see if I can get some nicer pink & yellow amoenas.

Depending on what the RENOWN kids look like, I might try to use it more. Made a couple of half sib crosses 2008 with RENOWN X DOCTOR ALAN seedlings and might try some more of those this year.

The rest will just depend on what makes pollen here and whether or not I can get myself up to Tennessee's iris heaven (the Gosnells) to collect pollen.
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8