Re: CULT: Line out strategies

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Line out strategies
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 08:58:56 -0500

<I'm interested in how you manage space, how you prepare the site,
labeling strategies.>

It keeps changing <g>. Currently, I try to plant in blocks (row sections) 3 or 4 across (depending on how rampant growth might be), 12 to 20 seedlings per block, spacing 6 to 8 inches apart. Seedlings that germinate early (i.e., last month) will be big enough by Mar/April, that even if there are only one or two, I will either get them into the ground and <hope> I can keep track of where I put them, or into 3 gallon pots.

The big drawback to burrito sprouting is having all these seedlings of various ages and sizes, some ready to line out long before their sibs, so they wind up scattered around. Triple label everything - bury one, one half buried, and one tall tag big enough to see above foliage and <map>!

Site prep - I dig & mix with spade fork, remove rocks bigger than 4 inches, mix in 6-12-12 & crushed dolomitic limestone.

After planting, add heavy layer of chipmulch. Or when that runs out, will probably start using sawdust or bark mulch.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8