Re: CULT: seed management

  • Subject: Re: CULT: seed management
  • From: christian foster <flatnflashy@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 14:27:28 -0800 (PST)

This year the experiment is to see if I can get germination from all
pods while they are still being chilled.  I imagine that won't change until
July when I have a new crop of seeds to think about.

I'm still potting my
seeds up individually in communion cups once they germinate.  I'm also trying
some plastic test tubes that have the same volume as the communion cups.  In
the tubes I'm using 2 parts potting soil mixed with 1 part "desert sand".  I
was impressed to see roots emerging from the bottom of the test tubes, and
leaves above soil, after only one week.  This supports previous observations
that suggest seeds with the opportunity to root deeply are happier.

I do not
record data on the temperature of potted seeds.  They are essentially on the
windowsill.  Some will be cooler because they are nearer the window pane.  If
the sun is bright they dry out faster.  I have observed leaves rotting when
the soil remained too moist.  This year I am giving each seedling 4cc of water
roughly every two days.   I am also adding a bit of bleach to the water to
help fight off externals influences.

I'm still working out how to keep
these early germinants alive until line out time.