Re: Re: HYB: winter plans, traits pod vs pollen

  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: winter plans, traits pod vs pollen
  • From: christian foster <flatnflashy@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 14:30:46 -0800 (PST)

"The Gosnells"?  "Tennesee Heaven" ?

don't think I've heard of those before.
Christian

________________________________
From: Linda Mann
<lmann@lock-net.com>
To: iris@hort.net
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 8:47:55
AM
Subject: [iris] Re: HYB: winter plans, traits pod vs pollen

Thanks Mary
Lou.  Not very encouraging ratios, are they?

I'm mostly trying to <find> my
notes, update the field notebook, update seedling survival tables (assuming I
can <find> the rest of the notes!) so I can start thinking about what I want
to do this coming spring.

My hope is to make more (IMM x A) X (IMM x B) or X
(ENGLISH COTTAGE x C)type crosses, but I'm not sure there will be much worth
working with yet. Worthy bloom quality, stalk height, etc plus fertile.
Possibly more from IMM X KIWI CHEESECAKE, or from IMM/ENG C X SHARPSHOOTER,
FOGBOUND, ABOVE THE CLOUDS, BURST, TREASURED, or even pink sdling: (PINK
FORMAL x CSONG), plus the usual 6 IMM X CSONG kids.

I will continue to try to
figure out something useful to do with the tet looking I. pallida grandchild,
& DUSKY GRAPE & sibs.

Definitely plan to work the yellow & pink seedlings
from cream: (IMM x CSong) X TREASURED.  But availability of pollen will
determine what I mix with them.  Be nice to put some kind of banded rebloom
parent (i.e., one of Sutton's) on them, but who knows if any will produce
pollen.

And, of course, I probably won't be able to resist doing more IMM
crosses <g>, tho I <hope> I will resist attempting more with HoM.  Too
frustrating!

If new starts of TRANS-ORANGE will cooperate, I'd like to try
putting it on some of the other IMM X CSONG kids to see if I can get some
nicer pink & yellow amoenas.

Depending on what the RENOWN kids look like, I
might try to use it more.  Made a couple of half sib crosses 2008 with RENOWN
X DOCTOR ALAN seedlings and might try some more of those this year.

The rest
will just depend on what makes pollen here and whether or not I can get myself
up to Tennessee's iris heaven (the Gosnells) to collect pollen.
-- Linda Mann
east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
East Tennessee Iris Society
<http://www.DiscoverET.org/etis>