Re: iris DIGEST V1 #746

  • Subject: Re: iris DIGEST V1 #746
  • From: RAINACRE@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 13:08:41 EST

Broken color has appeared spontaneously in my seedlings two or three  times
in the past 20 years. I have also worked with a number of broken  color lines
based on 'Maria Tormena' and 'Brindled Beauty'. Broken color is  completely
independent of plicata. The bc factors seems to be randomly turned on  or off
during cell division and once turned on stays on in all the suceeding  cells
produced from the initial turned on mother cell. Hence the streaks of  either
colorless or colored areas. A bc can be plicata and broken at the  same time. In
sections of the flower where the bc is not working, the  plicata effect is
seen. I think the idea that BC and plicata are connected may  have come from the
fact that the first thing hybridizers thought of when  encountering BC was to
cross it with plicatas because the bc factor looked like  plicata out of
control. The broken color factor has the ability to reverse the  effect of other
anthocyanin pattern factors in the  wedge of tissue in  which the bc factor is
turned on. Thus a bc factor in a variety with white  standards, and blue falls
can give white standards streaked with blue and blue  falls streaked with
white. Wow, that's bit too much to think about on Christmas  Eve.
As the result of crossing my  bc line with 'Louisa's Song' I will be
introducing a broken color which is over 36" with a large flower and quite  enough
buds. Introduction 2010 or 2012.
Fred Kerr
Rainbow Acres
Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.