Re:Re: Broken Colour

  • Subject: Re:Re: Broken Colour
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 10:28:48 -0500

This is an interesting question, but I can only guess at answer.

I had very similar BC iris to yours from a cross of two plicata, neither displaying no BC in either parent. I had 3-4 plants showing same light and dark streaks on a plicata ground of mid vlt plicata.

It is common in BC of plicata origin to display lighter and darker streaks then the background plicata anthocyanin. Batik is a good example of this. Plicata cultivars have anthocyanin, but distribution of anthocyanin is under control of plicata genes. Perhaps other control genes as well. In your seedling, as in most plicata based BC, the anthocyanin is distributed in center of falls and not just around edges as in the classic plicata pattern. The plicata allele most responsible for distribution in center of petals is the luminata gene. In addition I suspect that the variegata spot gene also plays a part. I say this as the examples of the same pattern I got was from a cross of Ring Around Rosie ( with variegata spot) crossed with Understudy, having lumianta genes. So both or either factor could have plaayed a role in my results.

Remember that the transposon responsible for BC in plicata based BC can be in either anthcyanin producing gene or a control gene. In this case with lighter and darker streaks, it would likely be in a control gene. thus it could be in any of the plicata genes (luminata would be a suspect) or in variagata spot gene complex.

Of note is that the transposon responsible for BC is an unstable genetic structure. it can be moved from one gene to another over time, so not all BC plants will have the controlling transposon in the same gene. In BC that are not in plicata based plants will be much more predictable in their effect.

Chuck Chapman