HYB:Traits:Pod vs Pollen (very long)

  • Subject: HYB:Traits:Pod vs Pollen (very long)
  • From: autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 12:43:19 -0500

I want to respond to Mary Lou's post of Dec. 19th--before I forget it.?

Keep in mind that rebloom, or frequent off-season bloom, in MY garden, zone 6, is my personal goal.??My secondary goal is to further the rebloom cause in similiar climates.?

As?many of you know, I really like this type of reports.? It's my belief that by sharing information, we can make the prospect of everblooming irises happen much quicker.? For those that keep track of these things--yes, I say this every year!? Usually in January!? <smile>?

Answering Mary Lou:

Renown--

It pleases me to know that Renown "can pick up an edge/bitone/ray pattern," as Mary Lou stated.? About this time last year, Griff reported fall?rings from using Spirit of Memphis.? Anyone know if Grace Thomas inherited this trait??

I didn't grow the real 'Renown' until I moved out here.? (The one I though I'd used in Vanishing Act was probably a seedling which Lloyd mistakenly sent instead.? Whatever it was, it?did rebloom well in Alvaton!)? I've only used 'Renown' as a pollen doner.? It has given limited quanties of seed, until this year!? This year I planted 150 seed from Drinks @ Sunset X Renown.? Four pods and frozen pollen.?

I've seen 3 seedlings bloom from Renown.? One seedling from Treasured x Renown.? (Wow!) Only survivor from 26 seed.? Great height, form, branching and length of season, great plant growth and stalk to fan ratio on maiden bloom.? I've found nothing to criticize.? This seedling indicated that Renown may still?have great potential.? Depends on whether I can reclaim the rebloom while maintaining all of the other qualities!?

and two from (Sweet Musette x Memphis Miss) x Renown).? Interesting!? The pod parent is awesome in every way, yet the seedlings both exhibit terrible branching and bud count on maiden bloom.? This was intended as a stepping stone to strong pink rebloom.? One more to bloom. ?May take another generation as pollen parents.

Don Spoon's introduction of Lady Baltimore told me that Born to Exceed has rebloom potential.? I've loved seedlings from Silverado X BTE.??BTE?has been a favorite of mine since it was introduced but I had no idea?it could rebloom.? Now I have 20 seed in the pots from BTE X Renown!? Thanks to the R & I and Don Spoon!? Crossing my fingers that they sprout.?

Immortality---
I made a lot of Immortality crosses in the 90's--nine in 1991 alone.? With a few exceptions, I've preferred the ones with Immortality as pollen parent.? Seedlings are taller and of better form than those where Immortality is the pod parent.? At times, the anthers can be split, releasing relatively small amounts of pollen.? I've not tried it here, and might have problems due to the heavier dew and fog from the creek.?

Bridge In Time gives good height and rebloom.? I will use it again this spring.?

Lunar Whitewash---
I've only seen bloom on the Lunar Whitewash X Romantic Evening children.? Four went into the reselect bed but a couple of the strong ones may have a chance this spring.? I saved two white seedling and two bitone blue/purple.? Waiting for bloom on LW X 1810-10 ( a white sibling to all those 2006 rebloomers.) Next generation is in the pots.?

I'll make other crosses if the opportunity presents itself, probably as pollen parent?since I'm not fond of many of it's traits.?

Again & Again:
Crossed onto Tara's Choice, it's given a keeper with strong rebloom.? Again & Again X Echo Location gave interesting seedlings.? For those interested in rings, one of these seedlings has four rings.? That's really all it has going for it.? More to come.?

I will definitely use it again.? Like Mary Lou, I will use as pollen parent when possible.?

Clarence---Due to the branching I use it as a pollen parent. Some I like and some I don't.? Love Lines X Clarence gave 5 rebloomers, some tall and some short, all beautiful. ?Just Call me is the best.? It's smooth, no haft lines, and tall with good branching.? For those interested it has pbf on the spaths.? I've seen nothing 'wild' in any of?the Clarence?seedlings.? Expected 'wild' in Tara's Choice x Clarence, but I just got 'dull' in the first wave of bloom.? More to come.? I'll watch for 'wild,' since it's what I wanted!? Along with rebloom!?

Matrix---
I've several seedlings in the garden and interesting seed in the germination pots.? Whether I use it again will depend on what I get from these.? Three rebloomers from Star Gate X Matrix.? The Rio X Matrix seedling (best) was taken another generation and I made my first cross onto Matrix this past spring.? Lots of seed.?

I've not used Daughter of Stars.? It's a bit weak here, but the main reason is that I'm not working on Luminatas.? I've not used Twilight Fancies, October Splendor, or Luminosity.? Luminosity bloomed here in 2006 but the buds were so tightly clamped on the stalk (no branching) that I decided not to use it.? Was this unusual?? I've not grown Bonus Mama or Precious Little Pink.?

Wilkerson irises:?I will use these again:

Bridge In Time-good seedlings.? Good pod parent.
Theme Master-beautiful seedlings when used on good bitones.? I've used it as pollen parent. Not real happy with the branching, but I love most of it's seedlings.? It hasn't produced 1st generation rebloom (here.) May still introduce some non-rebloomers from it.?
Summer Radiance-very good and does give rebloom when used with rebloom.? It's difficult to set pods, but can if you keep trying.? Pollen is plentiful and it sets easily for me.? Gave several pretty rebloom seedlings used on Radiant Bliss.? Lots of seedlings left to bloom on 'out' crosses.?Not seen Sunblaze x SR.? I'm trying to pull out both?rebloom and orange.? Pure As Gold X SR gave one survivor with the form of PAG and the color of SR.? As an only survivor it is a gem.?
Radiant Bliss-love the form and colors it gives in the red/yellow plicatas.? Will use it again.?
Tara's Choice-gives interesting seedling and rebloom.
Just Call Me-I'll use a lot for reasons listed above.?
Halloween Treasure-plan to use it in a quest for strong, tall and well branched varigata rebloomers in various tones.? (HT is Feed Back x Champagne Elegance X Radiant Bliss.)?
Vanishing Act-gives good height and good form.? The VA X Pure As Gold gave good substance which can be lacking in the seedlings.?
Gilded Cream--I've not used this much, but have plans for it this spring.? It has a great garden presence.? Maybe if I combined it with . . . . . .? .??? I do have 20 seed in a pot from Feed Back X Gilded Cream!??There were about?50 stalks and I just couldn't resist.? Should give a short white!? Maybe a good border bearded?? Or not!

I've been told by other hybridizers, that most of their crosses are made in the new seedling patch.? The idea is to rapidly advance certain lines.?

When working with rebloom, I do make crosses with the new seedlings;HOWEVER . . .

It's been my experience that maiden bloom is often unreliable.? It's not uncommon for bloom to look entirely different in subsequent years.? (not always) Selections made from maiden bloom are often disappointing in?later years.? It's hard to know what qualities lurk in a new seedling, especially when working with rebloom.?

All breeders are looking for branching, bud count, and distinction!? Add in rebloom for the colder climates and it becomes increasingly more difficult.? (Not to mention individual preferences.)?

Many of the irises I use is breeding are older, even my own.? I'm always finding new qualities or potential.? I have added sporadic rebloomers, even a few non-rebloomers, for new/fresh genes.? Variety!? New potential.?

Comments??

Questions??

Betty Wilkerson? . . . "if you don't cross them, you can't plant them!"?
Bridge In Time Iris
KY
Zone 6